Indulge in a healthier Easter treat with these Hemp Crossed Buns.
Prep time: 40 mins plus proving
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins
DOUGH FOR BUNS
330 g all purpose plain flour
50 g The Cannabis Company 100% Raw Hemp Flour
5 g dried yeast
2 tbsp maple syrup
250 ml milk
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
150 ml olive oil
1 cup of currants
½ cup of mixed peel
DOUGH FOR CROSS DECORATION
½ cup plain flour
1 tbs coconut oil
Squeeze of orange juice
Remainder of juice from orange
2 tbs maple syrup
- In a bench top mixer with the dough hook attached, sift the plain flour into the bowl then add 100% Raw Hemp Flour, yeast, maple syrup, milk, eggs, grated orange zest, vanilla, sea salt, and spices.
- Mix on low speed to combine the ingredients then increase the speed to medium and mix for 8 minutes until smooth.
- Add the olive oil slowly, until incorporated into the dough. If difficult to combine, finish off manually using a rubber spatula. (If you don’t have a mixer, you can combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead the dough on a floured surface).
- Cover the bowl with an airtight cover and allow it to rest at room temperature for an hour to prove, then move into the fridge to rest overnight.
- If the dough is very wet, add more plain flour until you are able to portion it into 12 even sized balls. Place these on a baking dish lined with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the crosses, mix the flour, coconut oil and orange juice together until you have a workable dough, add more flour or juice if you need to. Roll into thin pieces and place onto the buns in the cross formation. Cover buns with a tea towel and leave in a warm place to prove for 2 hours or until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced and bake for 35 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown. Remove from the oven and glaze with the mixture with a pastry brush while hot. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
Serve with butter and enjoy freshly baked.